Caprese Salad with creamy avocado is delicious and so easy to make! This salad is the ultimate way to enjoy fresh, ripe summer tomatoes & basil!
A classic caprese salad is made with very few ingredients–mozzarella, tomatoes, basil and olive oil. I decided to put a spin on this classic dish by removing the dairy (a common food allergen) and replacing it with creamy & nutrient-rich avocado.
Now this fresh Italian salad can be enjoyed by those following a dairy free, paleo or plant-based diet!
How to make a caprese salad
It’s real simple… start by slicing the tomatoes. Feel free to use tomatoes that are different shapes, sizes and colours.
Then slice the avocados, keeping them similar in thickness to the tomatoes. Arrange one slice of tomato then overlap with one slice of avocado around the outside of a plate (or however you choose).
You can incorporate whole fresh basil leaves into the layers or scatter freshly torn basil on top.
Lastly, finish this dish with a good drizzle of high-quality olive oil and sea salt or add even more flavour with a homemade dairy free pesto.
Important tips for making a caprese salad
- Find the freshest, ripe locally grown tomatoes
- Use a high-quality extra virgin olive oil
- Use fresh basil
- Find ripe avocados for more creaminess
Pair this salad with one of my dairy & gluten free Italian main dishes …
- Wild Salmon with Pesto
- “Spaghetti” alla Puttanesca
- Mediterranean Tuna Pizza
- “Spaghetti” with Chicken & Kale Pesto
Avocado Caprese Salad
- 2 tomatoes, ripe
- 1 avocado, ripe
- 1 handful basil, fresh
- 1-2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, or homemade pesto*
- Sea salt, to taste
- Thickly slice tomatoes and avocado.
- Arrange one slice of tomato then overlap with one slice of avocado around the outside of a plate (or however you choose).
- Incorporate whole fresh basil leaves into the layers or scatter freshly torn basil on top.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt or use homemade dairy free pesto.